Texas now and then

This week in the Hill Country

THE FANCY-PANTS MASHUPlost-pines

The Hideout Theatre, 617 Congress Ave.; August 5, Time: 7:30 PM

20 improvisers are assigned a secret number between 1 and 10 before the show. As the show progresses, each time a number is called, the 2 improvisers with that number go onto the stage and perform together, having no idea who they will be paired with before they greet each other onstage. The lights go down, and BAM! COMEDY!

LOST PINES TRAIL CREW

Bastrop State Park,  3005 Hwy. 21 East; August 6, 8:30 AM

Lend a hand and become a part of the Lost Pines Trail Crew! Together, we’re continuing a legacy and giving the trails a little TLC! We’ll teach you how to build a trail, how to stop the soil from eroding away, and other skills that you can even use at your own home!

Yesterday’s News

1825    Rosalie Priour, pioneer, merchant, and autobiographer, was born on in Ballymoney, Wexford County, Ireland. She sailed to Texas with her parents in 1834. Her father died of cholera the day they landed. The widow and her two daughters lived in Refugio. They fled the revolution, living in Mobile, where Rosalie married a French gardener. After the Mexican War, the Priours moved to Corpus Christi, where Rosalie and her mother began a mercantile business. They corresponded with agents and lawyers in Mobile and New Orleans, often in French. Rosalie had 10 children, 8 of whom survived to adulthood. Late in life Mrs. Priour wrote three drafts of an autobiography that narrated her life up to the end of the Civil War. She died on August 24, 1903, in Corpus Christi.

1866    German immigrant August Scholz opened a new saloon and beer garden in his property at 1607
scholzScholz’s business thrived as a center of German immigrant culture in Austin and benefitted from Austin’s rapid growth in the 1870s. With the arrival of the Houston and Texas Central Railway in 1871, Austin became a commercial hub, and the population more than doubled between 1870 and 1875. German merchants, professionals, and skilled laborers were drawn to the new opportunities in the city, with German-born residents making up more than 7 percent of the population in 1875. In 1885 Besserer and Hermann Lueschow took over the management of Scholz Garten. August Scholz, affectionately known as “Papa Scholz,” died in 1891, and ownership of the business passed to his stepson Theodor Reisner. In 1893 the business was sold to the Lemp Brewing Company of St. Louis. In 1901 Scholz Garten became the exclusive meeting place of the Austin Saengerrunde, the last surviving German singing club in the city. The club leased the property beginning in 1904, and in 1908 they purchased it and tore down the old meeting hall on the south side of the property and erected a new hall that remains today. The current bowling alley was also built by the Saengerrunde after their purchase of the property. The Saengerrunde signed a lease with local restaurateur Tom Davis. Davis continued to operate Scholz Garten in 2016.

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
wpDiscuz